SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012

imiloa is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

All the talk of total refits and massive repair projects brings to mind the way I approached the purchase of my boat. I bought an 18 year-old boat (10 years ago) that was clearly well-maintained in basically in sail away condition. At the same time I realized that while very sound I would need to begin replacing things. The approach I took (and continue to take) is incremental, prioritizing (safety first always) the items that need or will soon need replacement or upgrade and trying to do the work in the off season as much as possible. (Bottom job, running rigging, thru hulls, countless hoses, head rebuild, etc.) So I sailed for a year with no hot water heater, or a leaky foot pump in the galley - big deal. The point is I sailed. This past season I sailed with the varnish peeling off some of the brightwork on deck and a broken stove - but I sailed. My free time is limited. To me the point is to keep on sailing, keep on sailing...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook