SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing alone??
Thread: Sailing alone??
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing alone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnusailor View Post
My question is this: how many of you sail alone... that is, without a crew? I don't mean alone as in there is no one else aboard, just that they are along for the ride.
Practically every time I went out in my dad's 45 footer that was the case. In time I did manage to get some friends to help but for the most part I was doing the bulk of the work. It wasn't uncommon for me to lock the wheel, dash to the mast, raise the genny, run back, tighten the sheet, adjust the direction, lock the wheel again, trim the genoa sheet, trim the main, check the telltales and when we were sailing smoothly and I was trying to catch my breath, someone would say, "This is really nice!"

It's all about knowing the boat and planning every move. Once out on the water, I believe most people can handle fairly large boats with little help. That is as long as you're not surprised by heavy weather. You have to know how to recognize that coming on too. With enough knowledge and experience the size of the boat really doesn't matter until you bring it into port.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook