SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

Had my boat tied up to a public dock over the weekend. Tied on Starboard, open water (with a lot of surge) on Port. We left the boat unattended for a while (no time limits, etc.). When we returned to the boat, from a distance, I thought I saw a guy jump on my boat, cross the cockpit to Port, then jump back to the dock on Starboard. As he walked toward me on the dock, I stopped him and said "Did I just see you on that boat (pointing to my boat)?" He said: "Yeah, (he pointed to another boat docking in a spot that just opened) we were going to raft up, but it didn't work out". I said "What the hell do you think you are doing jumping on someone else's boat?" He replied "Happens all the time." I said: "I strongly suggest you don't do it on THAT boat again!"
I have been involved in regattas, where, out of necessity, everyone is rafted up at the yacht club, and people come and go freely in the spirit of the event and YC environment. However, this was a public dock in the middle of a major metropolis (not even a marina). Had I been closer to the boat when I found him on it, he would have had a very unpleasant experience. It didn't even dawn on me until later that apparently, they were considering rafting up to my boat in major surge, without my permission. Had I found another boat rafted up to mine when I returned, well....I don't even want to think about it (I wouldn't let a friend raft up in that surge)!
How would you react in this situation? Am I overreacting, or did these guys have some brass?

Last edited by L124C; 10-16-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook