SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
The MacGregor is not a an offshore bluewater cruiser by any stretch and being the owner of a 26M I would not recommend it. On the other hand it is a very affordable everyman's boat that performs very adequately in coastal waters and inland lakes, it's intended use. It is a very versatile, production, price point boat that apeals to the middle income earner who wishes to get in some weekend sailing and perhaps week long adventures. Being trailerable makes it even more versatile and affordable. It is good value for the price and most owners are very satisfied with them. They are extremely voluminous, sail fairly well and with a 50hp outboard they will get you through most tidal currents and passes without having to wait for slack tide. There are thousands of them out there and they are very popular, those many owners cannot all be wrong. They are ideal for the San Juans & Gulf Islands in the Pacific Northwest where I sail. They serve their intended use well but they are not intended for blue water cruising. The view from my cockpit is the same as the view from the bigger boats. The MacGregor is a great first boat to learn on and go for short cruises of several days to a week in protected coastal waters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook