SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
there's no such thing as "saving money" when it comes to buying an old boat and fixing it up.
I beg to differ - I've restored a couple of boats for cheaper than what it would have cost to buy what I ended up with. Doing all or nearly all the work yourself and judicious bargain hunting are the keys to doing it successfully. Consignment stores and Craigslist are your best friends when doing it. Buying when it's cheap and/or available, not when you need it helps a lot as well. If you just pay retail "marine" prices for every little thing brand new, no way can you do it.

Quote:
How many 1930s or 1940s boat can you think of, amongst the people you can think of that sail? Safe to say not many.
If they had fiberglass boats and aluminium spars back then it would be a very different story methinks.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook