SailNet Community - View Single Post - Woman Missing – A warning to Newbies.
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Woman Missing – A warning to Newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
I was going to ignore this but I really resent being called a yuppie and rarely have I made an effort to be P/C. I guess you like the old love, honour and OBEY!!

I have a wonderful relationship in which neither person feels the need to impose anything on the other. I feel I have a duty to provide counsel and then support her decisions and I know she feels the same. The need to control someone is inadequacy not love.
My apologies Geoff - I didn't mean it as a personal attack on you. That term "partner" is a bit of a red flag to my bull. I perceive it as an indication of some degree of a lack of commitment to ones spouse. A wife rates a different term describing her relationship to you than the guy you run a hardware store with or share a boat with.

And no, I don't believe in "obey" - read my post again. That doesn't mean I'm just going to say "Okay dear, your decision, have a nice time" if she plans on doing something I know to be extraordinarily hazardous or foolhardy.

In a case like the one under discussion, I'd go with her or insist someone else with adequate experience go.

If she wanted to go hangliding, I'd insist she get some instruction, not just go along with her buying one and jumping off somewhere high.

To me that's the difference between being a couple in a marriage and two people living together or POSSLQ's as the Canadian government terms them (persons of the opposite sex sharing living quarters).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook