SailNet Community - View Single Post - Joe Adams, Yacht Designer, Murdered in Philipines
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Joe Adams, Yacht Designer, Murdered in Philipines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
As a side note to this tragedy, the boat referred to was ferro-cement - I daresay the only floating footpath ever to win a major sailing event (or ANY event for that matter). Speaks highly of his design abilities.
Yes.. well.. lets' just say he didn't limit himself to one material - like many designers do. Although most of his yacht designs were plastic, that didn't stop him designing extremely good steel yachts also... plus the odd floating footpath if he thought it might come to something.

Designed decades ago, the Adams 10 Meter is still one of the best-performing day-racers around, beating newer more expensive Archambaults, etc. on a regular basis, and is such a robust design that when scaled-up (Adams 20 Metre) it makes for a formidable and mighty quick pocket-maxi - "Helsal II" and "Hammer of Queensland" to name two. Speeds of +20kts on the open ocean was no problem for any of these yachts and an exhilarating ride it is!

With his huge range of cruising yachts, I daresay he was one of the most successful and most popular yacht designers of the 20th century and his loss will certainly be sorely felt by the yachting community.

Last edited by Classic30; 10-17-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook