SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC72 - On Foils
Thread: AC72 - On Foils
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: AC72 - On Foils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Oracle is no more. They flipped and turtled the 72 and she is breaking up. I am sure Larry Ellison will just build another! Sent from my Kindle Fire
According to this account, the wing is toast, but it looks like the boat is still intact.
America's Cup boat flips in SF Bay - SFGate
Here is raw footage of the salvage operation. Yep, the wing is certainly history. Hulls and dagger boards/foils seem to be intact. Notice how far the tides took her out, despite all the horsepower on the support boats! Wonder why they couldn't get her upright in the Bay when she she still appeared to be relatively intact. Of course, once that 130' wing went under in that tide.....
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...rts&id=8849866

Prior to the incident, it was blowing like stink, and they were falling off into a very strong Ebb. I'm surprised they were pushing it that hard so early in the game. In any case, you can bet Ellison will fix what needs to be fixed. It might be the end for any other team, but this AC is Ellison's baby, and he's got deep, deep pockets and an ego to match. USA 17 will sail again....bet on it!

Last edited by L124C; 10-17-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook