SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywalkerII View Post
For what it's worth, I've never seen this done in the Long Island Sound area. I've circled around, waiting for dock space.

Rafting only occurs among friends or social gatherings on moorings.
This is how it's done in the NE. Raft to a Hinckley, Morris, Lyman-Morse etc.. scratch it, and you likely just bought a 20k+ paint job!!!!

I find the behavior, without owner permission, rude but I agree it depends upon where you are and the local customs. I would not suggest trying it up here unless you know the other owner and have agreed upon it ahead of time. We simply circle and wait or anchor elsewhere and dinghy ashore. We generally avoid public docks anyway as the commercial guys often use them and, well, they are working we are playing. No skin of our back to anchor and take the dink in and let the guys work... When I used to move boats up and down the East coast / ICW for winter/summer deliveries it was not uncommon for us to stay on the boat and send another to shore when there was no good place to anchor and the town dock was a "rafter". Course we were often in 50+ foot behemoth's that would crush a small boat....

I think the bottom line is that if it was "customary" where the OP was then he/she would likely know about it and not be as upset. If it is not "customary" behavior then I think it is just rude when done without permission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-17-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook