SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking about upgrading...
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking about upgrading...

Carl -

I agree with Mike. It's been a good boat. The only negative is the location of the traveler. It is in front of the wheel - which is great for sailing, but stops you from installing a table - which would be great at the dock. So, it’s a small trade off that I never minded. Last year at the sailboat show, I looked at every other 27 ft boat there. The inside of the Ericson felt like a mansion compared to some of the cramped layouts I saw. And, it has better lines.

Motoring through wakes or chop isn’t great, but I think that’s just par for the course. As for sailing performance, I think it points extremely well (despite some reviews to the contrary) and I can’t remember being passed by many other 27 footers (also despite reviews). I’ve gotten the sails wet and never felt uneasy about the boat’s ability to keep trucking along. When sailing with seas about 3 ft, the waves can push the rudder around so you have to hang on.

All in all, I love it. I am only getting something larger for a little more foot space in the V-berth, a larger cockpit – two things for the wife – and the ability to spend a week on the hook comfortably.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook