SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Northeast Liveboard - First Condensation/Mildew Battle
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012

DINKS14 is on a distinguished road
Re: New Northeast Liveboard - First Condensation/Mildew Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
OK,,,I am going to steer this this topic in a slightly different direction. The liveaboards posting here seem like a different breed than those who sell their home on retirement and sail away to tropical destinations. I could be wrong, but I imagine liveaboards in colder climates still have jobs and such; they just happen to live on a boat. Is this a fair assessment. If it is, how did it happen? What moved you to move from house or apartment to live on your boat? I am really interested in the stories. If you are married, how do you talk your wife into it? I know I could, and probably would do it if I were alone, but my SO would not even consider it.
This is the wife of dinks14 and I just had to reply to you Slayer. Funny thing was this whole moving aboard a boat in NH was MY idea. And you're right, we are not the quit our jobs, sail off into the sunset cruisers, we are living aboard and working full time. For us this is a means to an end, we do hope to sail off to warmer climates within 2-3 years but for now we're just folks living life who call a 43' sailboat home. We are young and when the time came to do the whole newlywed, buy a house, make babies thing we stopped the freight train of modern life for a second to talk and said, "if we do that we'll never do the boat". So, here we are taking a left turn in life, living a life less ordinary. For us we were overwhelmed by the expectations of young adult life, the reliance on material possessions and pottery barn and iPads, the expectations of love, marriage, house, babies. We wanted to experience something that would challenge us, that would mix life up, derail the typical life path a bit, something we could tell our kids and grandkids someday and we wanted to do it while were young, before our knees ached or we fell into the allure of modern American society. We are both campers (lived out of a Toyota Corolla for 3 months with our black lab while camping across the country). We've never really been into having the best of everything - Never have put a lot of energy or money into possessions or homemaking we'd rather spend our money on experiences (and good craft beer). To us moving aboard a boat set us apart from our friends and fulfilled this need in us to live life differently, to try something new, to challenge ourselves. It was our way of ensuring that our dreams of seeing this world will actually come true.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook