SailNet Community - View Single Post - Building my own dingy
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Building my own dingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
If you don't have good tools like a big table saw, you might want to look into some of the kits like the Chesapeake Light Craft kits, very nicely cut out marine grade wood as well.
I have most of the tools, but don't have the money for a kit (the cost of a kit would pay for all the tools and enough materials to make some major mistakes and then some). Materials will cost me <20% of the cost of a kit....not even accounting for the wood I have on stock. Not including, fastenings, adhesive and the like. If I use the fanciest 4mil Okoume marine ply ($50/sheet), I have most of the other wood. I would only use 1 1/2 sheets for the boat (the left overs will be used for other things so don't count towards cost of skiff) and have to purchase less than $50 for everything else, including spars....total cast in lumber shoild be around $125.....I have oars locks and access to a pair of 7 1/2' sitka spuce oars ($115)....the sailing rig something else.
I visited Cheasapeke Light Crafts booth at the wooden boat festival....the kit prices were worth a think, if you can afford it, they have some nice boats. But I have a design I like which I am tailoring to my boat....no kit will fit my needs that precisely.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 10-17-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook