SailNet Community - View Single Post - Our Medical Experiences in Mexico
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012
freedom seeker

tapske is on a distinguished road
Re: Our Medical Experiences in Mexico

I am a native Texan and have spent a fair amount of time in Mexico over the last couple of decades. There are some beautiful out of the way, not overly touristy places. Progresso (inland a bit). Isla Mujeres (becoming a little more touoristy, but they still don't allow gas burning motor vehicles on the island).. so a slower pace is garaunteed.
As far as medicine goes.... YES, when you remove the corrupt Pharma companies, and the Corrupt insurance companies.....both of which have to grease the corrupt politicians.... It is AMAZING how inexpensive "unisnsured" care and medicine really is.
I have an old ACL (knee) injury, and 3 years ago I twisted it getting off of a boat Cozumel. I was in a lot of pain. I went to a local pharmacy bought 10 prescription strength pain pills, for $12 and 3 days later the swelling was down....I didn't have to suffer through the pain..and all was better.
The trip to to the pharmacy was 10 minutes, and I was out a total of $20 including cab fare.
Compare that to state-side : $200 a month in medical insurance premiums, to take Half a day off of work, to sit in a Dr. office, to pay a $20 co-pay, and get a note (RX), to go to a pharmacy to pay a $20 deductible, to get pills worth about $5 in REAL money. So State side WITH insurance = about $240 and half a day. Over there without insurance cost me $20 and about 30 minutes for the same results.
Amazing how effeceint and affordable healthcare can be, when there is some similance of a "CAP" or limit to the corruption controlling it.

---Tapske

NIF
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook