SailNet Community - View Single Post - A quiet October Idyll, Great South Bay
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
A quiet October Idyll, Great South Bay

The past two weeks every time weather permitted the notion of sailing it seemed to blow up as I got to the dock. Then it got cold and really started being blustery.My general morale was getting pretty lousy so when I stepped out of the woodshop at 2:30 and felt sunlight with a gentle breeze no clouds and steady trees.... I though now or never....

It was so damned lovely ...not a day for tearing it up but just bloody marvelous for gliding up in the channels near the salt meadows. there were very few boats out.... the birds were at work in the reeds, or on the shoals..... cormorants were often fishing a few feet from the boat....and there were just sounds of the hull moving through water. and the rig leaning into a breeze. Spent some time tuning and adjusting sails...and left a reef in the main even though most of the time it would have been fine without it. Learned more from having it in today. There were literally hundreds of mute variations in color and texture across the islands,hummocks, marshes and meadows. I saw light come off a skimmers beak as it slipped through the water. Time to see. Time to breathe and savor a few crackers while being a part of it. The few people who passed were also aware and tipped a hat or quietly nodded....sometimes its just so amazing being out there....
Cod

Last edited by oysterman23; 10-17-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook