SailNet Community - View Single Post - Helms 24 vs 25???
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Helms 24 vs 25???

Hi Wayne;
I see yer used to short-water sailing; being on the opposite side of the peninsula and all . I plan to be day/weekend+ pottering around on the N. end of the Chessie. Once better acclimated to the area and sailing bigger in general; I'd like (eventually) to be able to make passage to the S. end of the Bay... and back! While not a complete noob to the water and sails; it'll still be a rather huge leap to a 24-25 footer. I plan to go slow and close until I'm better educated and used to it.

Looking at the specs on both, the 24 lists 4.17' and the 24 SD (shoal draft?!) lists 3' vs the 25 at 4'/1.67' (max/min). Three foot draft on the 24SD is not what I'd call shoal-draft; whereas the 1.67' up-board draft on yer 25 *IS* ! Looks like the same mast/sailplan with the 25 being a couple hundred pounds LESS in ballast and disp.; probably from drop-keel design??

That being settled....what's the nominal head-room on yers? I'm finding it troublesome to use dividers to step off dimensions of downloaded dwgs of the two..and get decent measurements. Where, do you estimate, are the single foot differences between the 24 and 25? Cockpit? Cabin? Forepeak? Or just in general, spread out over the entire length?.

I suppose I oughta find one of each within reach and take a look in person.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by deltaten; 10-18-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook