SailNet Community - View Single Post - I just made a video on sailing in the British Virgin Islands HD
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Re: I just made a video on sailing in the British Virgin Islands HD

I have a couple of critiques.
1) Too many steadicam shots of the island around the 1:00 mark. It becomes tedious and somewhat nauseating. I would have intertwined them with more fixed shots of varying focal lengths. I see you've used a few different lenses. Mix them up.
2) The use of shallow depth of field was underutilized. I think more close ups would have really spiced this up. You have a good eye- use it. Hands on tillers, lines, macros of plants, etc.
3) Where are the people? A couple of close up shots of smiling faces, whether they be locals or people on boats, or gathered around that BBQ, would say a lot. I think, by and large, cruisers are happy people. Sell it. The shot of the dude swinging is great.
4) Your time lapse stuff is sweet, but don't fall in love with it. The night time shot of the moored boats goes about 2-3 seconds too long. And avoid editing them one after the other. Get a sunset or sunrise on there. I know they aren't easy because of the exposure changes, but it's well worth the effort if you can master it.
What type of steadicam (or handheld pedestal) are you using? It works well with the subject, especially underwater. You show a good feel for pacing. Keep working on it. Some people never get that. All in all, a very polished video. Nice work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook