SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Bear Mountain has a dock you can tie up to, it says no over night but last I heard they left you alone as long as you were quiet. The zoo might be OK for kids, not exciting but I think they charge a voluntary $.50. It has mostly animals from the region including some bears and a bald eagle. The Inn is nice to walk around in. Be on the lookout for Bald Eagles there are roosting ones on both sides of the river(Dennings point and Iona Island). I don't care how many times I see them, they still fill me with awe every time I see them.

Cold Spring is nice, and has recently reopened it's public dock I believe, but I am not sure what they let you do there. Mostly antiques and higher end restaurants. Beacon (my current town) is also very nice and they have anchoring just north of the mooring field by the train station. You would be able to use the Beacon Sloop Club dingy dock if it is still up(if not just pull it up to the launching ramp they are pretty casual. The Beacon Sloop Club is fun if they happen to be having a meeting, it was started by Pete Seager and they do pot lucks and sing along after the meeting. Just up from the train station is the Dia a very nice contemporary art center, worth the visit. If you want to provision I can pick up up there and take to any of the local stores. We have a Key Foods within walking distance. There are better grocery stores and even the evil Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes a short drive away.

Across from Beacon is Newburgh, there are some nice, but expensive restaurants on the river and Washington's Revolutionary War Headquarters is just a few blocks away, but be careful of wandering too far as the neighborhood gets a bit rough. Though up Washington street their is a great Taco place that has great lengua (tongue) tacos. (1.25 each last time I was there) I dig me some good cheap grub!

Cornwall Yacht Club is a nice protected marina, but does not have much to offer.

Chelsea Yacht Club is a nice facility, but not much there, and stay away from Chelsea Landing Marina, the guy is crazy that owns it.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook