SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Boarding and rafting to stranger's boats.

Why would anybody have the expectation of exclusive use for an unattended public dock or landing? Other boaters have the same right to the dock as you do given that there are no restrictions as to number of boats allowed to dock at any one time. If you do not want risk someone rafting to you on a public dock Ė do not leave your boat unattended and be willing to leave when the next boater wishes to land or dock. It is pretty simple. If you want exclusive use, you should be willing to pay for it by going to a guest dock where they charge you for the privilege.

Once, someone who was attempting to Med-moor alongside my (unattended) boat gouged my gel-cote. He was very diligent in contacting me and prompt in paying for my repairs. The sad fact of San Francisco Bay is there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 boats and only a few public (and free) docks. We also have few places to even anchor. The classic case in point is Samís in Tiburon. As to the Ferry building dock, what are time restrictions for tying up? Isnít the primary intension of the dock for dropping off and picking up crew and not for ďall day useĒ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook