SailNet Community - View Single Post - Latts & Atts is GONE!
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Latts & Atts is GONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
We just subscribed to Good Old Boat, it has some interesting articles and is aimed at "normal" budgets, we also like Practical Sailor a lot. We get Sailing due to our ASA membership but we're not in the market for a 5M racing machine. We just sold our 1993 Macgregor (LOVED THAT BOAT!) and bought a 2000 Catalina 320 which we are learning and constantly being amazed with but walking the piers I notice that even at 12 years old (really 13) the vast majority of boats are older than ours. So maybe a magazine like "Good But Not So Old Boat" might work. I guess there are so many different styles, ages and owner income levels that there would be no one size fits all. BUT although we did enjoy L&A's and really liked the readers pictures section (I guess BB play off In The Wind in Easyrider Magazine) did I'd wince and cringe everytime I read "kewel".
Yea the thing with fiberglass, if it is well taken care of it will last almost indefinitely. Many of the first fiberglass boats are still around. Granted they overbuilt a bit as it was "new" back then, but given no accidents and well maintained there is no reason why a fiberglass boat can't last 100 years. So a boat magazine that really caters to older boats does seem to work well. Especially if you have reader created content like GOB I don't know the going rate for an article in a fancy magazine, but I am sure it is a fraction of what GOB pays. They also don't seem to play the giveaway price game for subscriptions just to get numbers to show advertizes. I get about 20 magazines a week that I don't pay for. I got on a list and when a subscription number drops they start sending them out for free.

I like practial sailor as well, but I wonder how they are doing. They seem to have really dropped the subscription price and I think they claim they pay for everything they test. That seems to put a limit on what they can do and be profitable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook