SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Having surveyed a number Whitby 42's and one that was recently listed for significantly more than 55K, I'd suggest than any Whitby in that price range is going to cost closer to 100k to make right. By "right" I mean functionally, safe and sound, not cosmetically perfect.
Fair enough. I'm not a surveyor and I was reaching for an analogy. I don't actually know much about Whitbys. My point is simply that the way many production boats are marketed today, with so many variants and so many changes from year to year, we have a tendency to become inured to it all. That's not saying anything about the quality of the boats themselves, which is good to excellent in my opinion.

How many times have you been in a discussion about some modern production boat only to realize that you were talking about the 2002x version and the other person was talking about the 2004z variant - two entirely different boats? It's a marketing culture that's relatively new to boating, I think, in that boats are marketed more like cars. If you've got a 10-year old Beneteau, you aren't the big man on K dock. You envy the guy with last year's model. That churns those boats through the market, which is a very good thing for Beneteau and probably the reason why they are still in business and the folks at Valiant aren't.

Last edited by sneuman; 10-19-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook