SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cored wood bulkhead on C&C 24
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012

anerussis is on a distinguished road
Re: Cored wood bulkhead on C&C 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cronin View Post
I am getting leaks on my C&C24 . they are coming from the holes for the screws
that secure the hand rails on the cabin top. I rebedded the hand rails in bedding compound, put the screws back and that solved the issue. The deck (but not the hull) on C&C 24's - is balsa cored. I know of nothing to do about balsa cores that get wet. My friend has a C&C 34 with a balsa cored hull that he cannot sell because of the issue with balsa cored hulls.
There is absolutely nothing that will not sell! You can sell just about anything if the price is right. Just bought my C&C for a song which was less then 50% of the asking price because it was extremely dirty being dry-docked for two years close to large maple trees. it's windows also leaked, the companion hatchway was extremely damaged and the cockpit locker lids are soft- within 2 days of my purchase I repaired the windows and made a new door by simply using the old as a template. After power washing it I was actually very pleasantly surprised on how crisp and white it now looks. It's way beyond me why some people set a price way beyond of what they would actually accept and thus discouraging most buyers from even making an offer.