SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Buying a 30-40 year old boat - your opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
...How many times have you been in a discussion about some modern production boat only to realize that you were talking about the 2002x version and the other person was talking about the 2004z variant - two entirely different boats? It's a marketing culture that's relatively new to boating, I think, in that boats are marketed more like cars. If you've got a 10-year old Beneteau, you aren't the big man on K dock. You envy the guy with last year's model. That churns those boats through the market, which is a very good thing for Beneteau and probably the reason why they are still in business and the folks at Valiant aren't.
I'm not sure what marina you hang out in, but around my way I don't see many people like this. But I hope you are right, because I would love to see more people in a hurry to unload their "obsolete" 10 year old production boats for a bargain. Many of us here depend on those 10 year old boats (and even older ones) for our next upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook