SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast wiring strain relief
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast wiring strain relief

Dave,
I thought about a conduit,but three things stop me, 1) doesn't address strain, 2) I don' t want to drill too many holes in the mast, 3) can' t figure out how to get the steaming/deck light wires out of the middle of the conduit to the fixtures.

The mast is deck stepped,current system is 3Dri-Plugs, deck,steaming and instrument,and the vhf coax and anchor wire through compression post and exiting in the bilge. I don't like the wires in the bilge at all. Since the mast will not be coming down that often, I'm not sure the Dri-Plugs are necessary. I'm thinking of a cable clam or similar for the through deck, a junction box in the cabin for the light wires, and a direct run for the vhf to the radio. Currently there are no instruments. I am thinking of Tacktick wireless wind instru ments, but that isn't in the budget until 2014 or 15. I will run couple of spare wires for repairs/ additions. I have this crazy hope, that supported wires, to proper connections,LED bulbs and lots of dielectric grease will hold off problems.
Thanks for making me think.
Lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook