SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
In San Diego, I think there are only two spots where you can anchor for free. These are restricted to a night or two, I believe, and you're supposed to get a permit from the Harbor Police. Not really an option for living aboard.

There are several mooring areas, with balls, all around the bay. The same company owns all of them. Some of these are in really excellent locations around the city. They are cheap, too. Only $125 to $150 per month. Unfortunately, there is a ten to fifteen year waiting list to get on one. Most of these boats on them are absolute wrecks that I can't believe even float, and they are not very nice to look at. Apparently, there are no requirements or standards to meet in order keep one of those moorings. It's a shame. I assume people live on some of them, since there are messy signs of life on board and a few with cats. I guess if you got your hands on one of these moorings and something that looks like it used to be a boat, this would be the cheapest way to live in San Diego.

My favorite place to tie up is at the bars that have guest docks right in front, but they won't let me live there...
when i left san diego -- i had 2 boats on moorings in coronado, and many friends in other mooring fields, some of them have just returned from years of full time cruising. there are very few derelict looking boats in san diego--the unfortunate thing is , the derelicts are moored right out in front of everyone walking by--so those are what you see when you think moorings in san diego--these derelicts are the former anchor outs from anchorage 8. the were relocated to down town.... go figger.
there is no reason to denigrate the moored boats--other than those few derelicts--there were 20 brought to north bay when that free anchorage was closed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook