SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Trouble With Columbias
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012
freedom seeker

tapske is on a distinguished road
Re: The Trouble With Columbias

Recently picked up a Columbia 9.6.

I LOVE this boat....(love the SOLID FG....no hidden sandwich for rot to hide) sails like a dream, it almost begs you to make her heel more !!

Engine 1100 hours, clean as clean gets, not a drop of oil on pan.... and AMAZINGLY not a drop of water in bilge areas.... immaculant for a 76-78 model. (Interesting thing about this boat title/Documentation says 1976 but NADA says there was no '76 only a '78..... odd)

I got VERY lucky, last owner was retired...divorced....and this was his baby... he spent days just rubbing it down with diaper...and polishing things.... He was also an elect. engineer, so I got it outfitted with all the latest and greatest NAV. equip. including GPS linked auto-pilot, and wind-vane auto (of course), 24 mile radar, side-scan sonar... etc...etc...

My ONLY "fine" tuning gripe is, the backstay is in an awkward position while seated at helm. but that is a small price to pay for the sweet all-around of this boat. It handles almsot like a racer..... but has circum-nav. credentials.

Less cabin space than the hunter 32 i was partners in... but still decent space. so no worries there.

I do however wish I could get a pre-fabbed cocpit guard rail assembly that has the perch seats. (not just the 45 degree cross-braces to attach to existing rails, but one that actually sticks out on the quarters like it should). I feel this would give the cocpit more than enough room for 4 people to comfortably hang out. Right noe 4 is not a big issue....but could be a little better.

fair winds.....

---tapske...
NIF
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook