SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Thanks for all the great anchoring and docking information, it will really come in handy as we make our way south this year.
Yesterday, as you may know, was a pretty wet and foggy day on the upper hudson, that weather system over chicago is a strange one, I think it's messing w/ the east coast.
We managed to escape Castleton on the hudson (the friendliest boat club on the Hudson) . "Skip" aboard S/V Mivita even managed to catch up w/ us and was stepping his mast as we departed.
It was a bit of a slog in the fog and rain, burning dinasaur bones for the day, getting us to Catskill.
When our cabin girl "Marina" asked where we were headed for the evening and heard "Cats-kill" she wanted to know if they were going to try to kill our cat ! We assured her the cat was in no danger (from them,however, the cat dislikes me and if it gets sick on my bunk again . . well,patience and forgiveness).
So we motor into Catskill ,where we have been before , just inside the creek/river off the Hudson is a little Rest. that has a dock you can tie to for the night if you patronize the establishment, it's called "port of call" they got flooded out last year during the storms and have since demolished and rebuilt. New building,seawall,docks,even new parking lot. It's a nice friendly place w/ decent fare.
Going completely contrary to my frugal nature, I treated the crew to dinner ashore, It was seafood buffet night(no regular menu,bummer) So everyone ate too much and we retired to the boat to recuperate from overindulgence and were all down for the count before 8:30 (hence the reason I'm now wide awake at 3am).
As an aside, this year I vowed to the first mate to make a concerted effort to , when making landfall, try to look a bit less haggered (like a homeless person) so it was comb the mop,pants w/out tears and patches and my "cleanest dirty shirt" she was cautiously impressed.
On the way here the fog was so thick at times I could barey see the bow. At one point as we approached hook point , a 30-40' motor boat was barreling down on us from astern throwing a good 2-3' wake and I was afraid they would just blast right by like that.
So, as they approached I'm waving and gesturing for them to slow down and they did a bit.
Then they almost ran aground in the fog, after which I hear a barge and tug hailing southbound traffic of the approach. I responded to the barge w/ my location and vessel description and just as quickly, it came into view.
At this point the motor boat apparently decided that I knew where I was going better thet he and fell in behind me for the next few miles until we cleared the fog, then blasted by, not to be seen again.
Of course as soon as we docked in Catskill, the rain stopped,the sun came out and it was a beautiful evening,go figure !

Keepin' ya' posted, thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook