SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fin vs bulb vs wing keels
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Fin vs bulb vs wing keels

R3:
Sometimes you are just not going to be able to apply reason to the performance argument. Yesterday we had a long race with every condition and heading imaginable. We saw almost 30 knots TWS and TWS down to 2 knots. It was the Race Your House race for liveaboards and we had a fleet of 50 boats that covered all but the very top end of the performance and type spectrum. Racing a pilot house baba 35 we managed a second in class being beat by 22 seconds on corrected time and 2 minutes on elapsed time by a well sailed ( damn it) Cat 30 raced by a very good sailor and old pal of mine. The HC''s, Ingrids and Cape George Cutters were well behind us. I think we amazed a lot of sailors, including myself. That puts a lot of the talk to rest.

Sometimes I like to point out to an owner of an "antique" type design (and I have design a few of them) that he should check the PHRF rating for his boat. PHRF ratings are usually very good indicators of a boat's potential performance. Kind of like this, "If your boat is that fast why does it rate 255?"

At the end of our race I could not even see either of the two HC's in the race. Mind you, we pushed the Baba 35 very hard and we had very good sails (thank you Carol Hassey) plus an Aussie pal of mine called tactics and sail trim. We raced for fun and our attitude is winning is the way to have the most fun. Several boats dropped out of the race including a Cape George cutter. I'm not sure our performance did much to promote the "full keel boats are slow upwind" argument. We seemed to hold our own and maintain very good VMG's upwind. But I am not so blind as to think a full keel boat has the same upwind potential or even downwind, in most conditions, as a well sailed fin keel boat.

Maybe, "You're full of crap" was the only way to end that argument.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bobperry; 10-21-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook