SailNet Community - View Single Post - Team Oracle Boat Capsizes
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Team Oracle Boat Capsizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
When I watched this last weekend I thought it was Spithill I remembered capsizing: When I Googled it to make sure, I read it was Coutts. Maybe that referred to this one back in June:.
Yeah...That was the first endo (as far as I know) when they were first practicing on the 45's a year ago. Coutts went through the wing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Whatever the case, I had no problem finding videos on the web of AC capsizes. And the America's Cup has no problems selling that to the public.
Funny you should say that. Call it Machiavellian, but when I saw the Spithill 45 endo, it occured to me that it might have been staged for drama (the crowd went crazy!). Reason being, no one even fell off and Spithill was sitting pretty the standings. If any team could afford to "take one for the AC", "sit one out" (or, more accurately, lay on their side) it was Spithill. The reason I've ruled that out is the proximity of Spithill's wing to Artemus. It almost came down on Artemus which obviously could have been a disaster. If they were going to stage it, they would have given themselves more room.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook