SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: HR 412; XC 42; Swedestar 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Mr X can you tell us what are they saying on that test on the movie, I mean the general idea?

Hi Paolo, I assume you mean me! Well, I could tell you what they say but I think your english is as good as mine, so maybe a bit overkill?! His english is a bit poor so I´ll give you a few hints. They guy beeing interviewed is Håkan Södergren, the designer of the boat. If you don´t know about him you should look him up, he´s a real veteran. I´m friends with his son, so I meet Håkan every now and than, he is a nice bloke.

To me, his designs are quite traditional but still allways very good performers (for cruisers of course). His comments in the video is that he has kept many of the attributes from the Swedestar 370. A rather shallow draft keel is key when sailing in our area. He has moved the sail plan back, which also creates a large fore triangle, which makes for an easy to handle sail plan.

The boats are more expensive than for example Jeanneau etc because of highest quality swedish handcrafted interior.

From experience I can tell you that we outsail Swedestar 370 with my brothers Arcona 340. Maybe no suprise, but still worth noting.

My brother was acutally very close to buying the Södergren designed Tarac, but with his family in mind he went for the Arcona.

Cheers!

//Mr W
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook