SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: About yacht design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi Paolo,

I read an article by the norwegian boat magazine Seilas a while back which you might find interesting. It´s in Norwegian, so you´ll have to find a way to translate it. I´m not really up for translating the whole article for you....

Oops, problem! I can´t attach a pdf! Paolo, if you´re interested in the article, PM me your e-mail adress and I´ll send it to you.

//Mr W
Can you believe that I started to listen to the guy and his accent Is so thick, so Swedish that my brain decided that he was speaking in Swedish and I just turned out the sound

Regarding the Arcona 34 to be faster than the Swedsetar 37 it is normal under certain circumstances, like light wind but I guess that the Swedsetar has a superior rating and with more wind or rough conditions will be probably faster.

Anyway that was not the point: Arcona are performance cruisers and the Swedsetar is more in line with Malo or Halberg-Rassy (the aft cockpit line), well, at half the way between those boats and Arcona even if in what regards performance is much closer to Arcona.

If we compare it with the Arcona 410 we will see that the Arcona is 400kg lighter (7.8 to 8.2T) but also that the Swedestar has more 900kg of ballast. Ok the draft of the Arcona is 2.25 and the Swedestar has only 2.07 and that will represent probably the equivalent of 200 kg of ballast. Even so and with that correction that will give a B/D ratio of 36% to the Arcona tha compares with the 42% of the Swedestar 415.

Of course the Arcona has more beam (3.9 to 3.8m) and that gives it a bit more form stability but I guess it will not be enough to compensate the extra B/D of the Swedestar and its smaller beam will make it a better upwind boat, specially with waves and rough weather.

In what regards sail, the Arcona 410 has 95m2 and the Swedestar 93m2.

I guess that the Arcona will be faster, but not for much since the Swedestar cab carry a genoa more time without reefing and I will bet that upwind with waves and over 12/13K the Swedestar will be faster.

Well, they are two fine boats but I don't know if I don't prefer the Swedestar. I will tell you after seeing the boat in Dusseldorf

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook