SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking about living aboard
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012

flyingriki is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking about living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by edistomarsh View Post
Ive been thinking about ditching my monthly apartment rent for a sailboat to live aboard while i am working and going to school. Im tired of throwing money way every month to have nothing that i can call my own when its said and done, plus id like to save a little where i can. ive always loved sailboats, although i have very little experience with them. i have never sailed a boat in the 29'-35' range, the range im am looking at living aboard. right now ive got my eye on a 1977 cal 2-29.

Im looking for any advice, wisdom, or thoughts on the matter.

Marsh
Marsh,
I lived on A Catalina 36 for a few years. Good enough for one person but not that roomy after a few weeks....
The best part of living aboard is sleeping on a boat. The worst part is walking through the rain to the showers in the dark and cold.....
Don't forget to figure in the costs of hauling out and redoing the bottom every couple years, some engine work you may not be capable of, replacing thru hulls and redoing any exterior wood when needed. Even doing all my own sanding, fairing and painting, my yard bill came to $1500 or so with a little work by the yard, rental on the collection system sander, lots of beer and burritos and bottom paint.
Just allow for more room than you think you need and all the expenses to make a good comparison. Try to get a slip close to the showers and up wind so you can open the cabin in the rain without soaking the interior. Am getting ready to move aboard again and won't go less than 42', preferably 45' or so.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook