SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 37 info?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: Islander 37 info?

Hello All,

I just bought a -- Islander 37, Motor Sailer (MS) on Saturday (20 Oct.).

The boat needs a new rudder, about 2 ft. is busted off. The boat broke free from it's moring or flopped over on it side when the tide went out, a couple different stories. I talked with the boat yard mgr. and he said it's a good boat and worth fixing, so I bought it.

Now, on this thread, I read that the boat handles weird and not great when backing up. My rudder needs repaired or a new rudder made up.

My Question -- to You Islander 37 owners .. that replaced your rudder, did You make it slightly bigger in size to make it more effective ?

If so, can you give me the increase size in demensions

______in. length ______ width. Also, perhaps, someone has installed a factory

made rudder from a similar sized ______________________ ? sailboat and had

good results on the Islander 37, if so, what boat _______ name _____ size

______ year.

I ask this .. because Islander went out of business and rudders are not available, & only a few ( I-37) boats were made as well (in salvage yards for parts).

I'm a Airframe & Powerplant (A&P) by trade and capable.. meaning I could make a rudder myself. I was sent a great clip.. about making a rudder and I'm good to go now. I have built a home built airplane but used the plans and just followed the plans, no problem. If I get some feed back here... I could make a improved rudder for my I-37 and perhaps, improve the handling of my I-37. good to go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook