SailNet Community - View Single Post - How does a boat sink in 15 minutes?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: How does a boat sink in 15 minutes?

I watched a boat sink in just about 2 minutes. Nothing I could do. I was walking out the long fuel dock towards the lake's marina as a guy pulled his picklefork with 5" of transom into a slip. Every slip and the side of the store had signs that said BOW OUT. He was just pulling in to get a 6 pack of beer so he thought that bow in would be OK. It wasn't. A boat passed going fast and the wake swamped the back of the picklefork. As I came around the corner of the store I saw his polished, supercharged 454 with chrome exhaust go under water. The whole cockpit was flooded and only the bow was sticking up as he walked out with his beer. He yelled and the marina manager came out. By this time most of the air in the bow had hissed out around the bow eye and it was getting lower and lower. The marina manager reached down and cut the bow line with his knife. The beer guy started crying. The marina manager explained that he wouldn't allow the boat to destroy the dock and down she went.
It was the first time he'd had the boat out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook