SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast wiring strain relief
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 10-22-2012
Re: Mast wiring strain relief

Originally Posted by lillia28 View Post
I thought about a conduit,but three things stop me, 1) doesn't address strain, 2) I don' t want to drill too many holes in the mast, 3) can' t figure out how to get the steaming/deck light wires out of the middle of the conduit to the fixtures.

The mast is deck stepped,current system is 3Dri-Plugs, deck,steaming and instrument,and the vhf coax and anchor wire through compression post and exiting in the bilge. I don't like the wires in the bilge at all. Since the mast will not be coming down that often, I'm not sure the Dri-Plugs are necessary. I'm thinking of a cable clam or similar for the through deck, a junction box in the cabin for the light wires, and a direct run for the vhf to the radio. Currently there are no instruments. I am thinking of Tacktick wireless wind instru ments, but that isn't in the budget until 2014 or 15. I will run couple of spare wires for repairs/ additions. I have this crazy hope, that supported wires, to proper connections,LED bulbs and lots of dielectric grease will hold off problems.
Thanks for making me think.
If you're thinking about adding a through deck fitting consider this. I did quite a bit of shopping and concluded that while a bit expensive, it's the best thing out there. You can kick it, step on it, and add as many wires later on as you want.

I run the wires through this and then to a terminal block nearby inside the boat.

Salty John: Cableport and other fine boat and yacht chandlery products.

Through the Deck

Last edited by asdf38; 10-22-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome