SailNet Community - View Single Post - Removing the mast
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Re: Removing the mast

I took my 30 foot mast down and I can tell you its not that hard. I found it easier to do at my dock than it is to do on the hard. make sure you do it on a calm day. Backed into my dock it was easier because I could have someone standing aft of the boat to recieve the mast and being on the dock with their arms raised they were a few feet higher than the top of my cabin. On the ground you would need a tall step ladder. A friend that has a lot of body mass (thats a fat guy with some muscles) lifted the mast so the electrical connections can be disconnected. Then with the bolt still in but loosened the forward stay is unhooked and the mast gets lowered aft to the guy on the dock. the guy holding the base of the mast just kind of steers the mast while the person forward walks aft with a good grip on the forward stay. If you had 2 more people available they could disconnect and grab the port and starbird stays and help lower / steer the mast down. Putting it back up is easier than taking it down. I actually did it with one other person however I dont think i'm going to try that again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook