SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking for information on hulls
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012

dutch2004 is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for information on hulls

I did give "Heart of Glass" a read. It was a little dry, but it didn't contain the answer I was looking for. Unless the answer is it doesn't exist, which may be the case. I was trying to find some kind of date as to when different builders switched to cored hulls from solid fiberglass. What I did find was a history of builders that came and went like tumbleweeds on a desert. Most of which seemed to keep no records or at least none that survived to this day. The point was made many times that thse folks were builders and designers not businessmen. I fully understand that. But if I wanted to find a data source that would let me look at say a 30 foot Seafarer made in 1965. What I was hoping for was to be able to check for hull constuction. The company ran from 1959 through 1985 with many changes over the years. But I don't think there is a collection of data like to refer to??
I know after a fashion designers and builders decided to run the balsa in the other direction to stop water traveling along the grain of the wood. This would be a handy reference for hull constuction as well. it can follow the grain for several feet which is very bad!!! But cross grained it is very water resistant!
Anyway thanks for trying folks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook