SailNet Community - View Single Post - can I afford to continue sailing
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

Hmmm...look at this as a chance to come together to work something out. Do not be confrontational. Ask her questions.

You'll never justify keeping the boat if you look at it from a financial standpoint. The only people who can do that are commercial fishermen and captains for hire.

Think about how to justify it emotionally, mentally, physically. Sailing keeps you active. It keeps you from the bars. It gives you a chance to appreciate what you have. It gives you a chance to appreciate things she goes without so you can do something you enjoy so much. It's your "alone time".Compare it to a hobby of hers that she really enjoys. "Sailing lets my mind relax just like how you need to be able to _____."

Things to think about:
Do you have a bunch of hobbies and she only has one or two?
Is there something else you can give up that you don't like as much to help meet a financial obligation?
Assuming she's the one balancing the budget, is it so close that it's stressful for her and she'd like breathing room?
What does she want to do with the extra money?
How much attention have you been giving her?
Is she feeling neglected?

Many women will bend over backwards for their loved ones if they feel cherished and appreciated. That's your first order of business if you've been slacking in that department.

And don't get dramatic.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook