SailNet Community - View Single Post - can I afford to continue sailing
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

Quote:
$1,300 for a slip is short money, we pay close to that for a mooring.
Be carefull, this is how it starts, next thing you know you've got no boat, no house...
Like Brent said:
"Stand your ground, and maintain some control over what is your own life. If you dont , it will eventually disolve anyway with even greater anger and resentment.-misfits
I am afraid this is shortsighted. Relationships are not about drawung lines. Every action has and equal and opposite reaction. Try and win her over.[/

Quote:
Stand your ground" is not the approach I'd take. I wouldn't give in, either, but don't approach this as a confrontation- a good wife is hard to find and divorces are more expensive than dock fees. Discuss it.
You are both right. It's impossible to justify sailing from an economic standpoint. It's an expensive thing to do. However, if you spend your life worrying only about money and not enjoying what you're doing, it's wasted.
Convince her that you are mindful of what it costs and you try to economize as much as you can, but sailing is too important to you to give up and the two of you need to find a way to make it happen-mssmith10
Agree 100% Find the positives and explain they are not measurable by price. The large amount this costs in percentage to your income now, will not be the same percentage when you make more in 10 yeras, but the time and experiences you get as a FAMILY on the boat wont be able to be measured by the expense.

sailing teaches kids confidence, nature and the outside, famuily time together in simple settings as well as the actual sailing. It also helps bond you, and your wife and family together in a family activity for all ages.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-22-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook