SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The seabed is public property. Fisheries have told me they dont give out water leases for private moorings, period. Thus their moorings are on property we all own and they have no legal right to exclude us nor claim ownership of what is a public space by putting a mooring on it.
A cruising lawyer has told me they have no legal right to exclude anyone from a mooring .
Brent, using your logic here, if you leave your boat anchored out and dingy into shore, anyone can come up and get on your boat and use is as they see fit. As you have on legal right to exclude claim to what is a public space by putting your boat on it. Perhaps not take it from the location, but use it and tell the owner (you) to stuff it.

A bigger issue for me is if it has lots of growth on it how do you have any confidence in it's ability to hold your boat? I am sure your steel boat is not too light weight, and if the mooring is designed to hold a laser or some other small boat. I would think you would just make one for $2.50 out of scrap steel and drop it and use it.

I like your spirit most of the time, but I think you are just plain wrong here, and trusting some one else's engineering to hold your boat too boot.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook