SailNet Community - View Single Post - can I afford to continue sailing
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

Boats are a totally ridiculous expenditure that cannot be justified on the level of finances alone.

That said... I am very happy w/ the boat I bought last winter after looking and looking and looking and dreaming and thinking and...

While I had owned smaller trailer sailors and had crewed on larger boats and even was in a small private club of owners (we owned 3 30' boats) I wanted a boat that was MINE. Mine to rig, sail, care for the way I wanted to. I spend endless hours thinking about what I want to do, how I want to rig stuff and lots of time just puttering around on the boat.

Now granted my kids are 21 and 18 and also don't live we me any more. But I remarried last year and have been working 6 day weeks since...how long now?

The ADMIRAL loves sailing and even took a JWorld class this fall to get better.

The point of this rambling post is that from a dollars only approach the boat is not a good deal. It's the intangibles you get from owning the boat that make it worthwhile. As I've commented, most of the boat owners live a lifestyle in that sailing is just part of owning. Maintenance, comradery w/ your dock mates, IMPROVED attitude towards the responsibilities of life, work, family and home...

As also noted, if wifey doesn't support you in your endeavors (within reason) maybe it's time to take a look at your relationship. And as also noted, what does she think you should do w/ that $$$?

My ex hated sailing, came to resent me for it (although that was just the symptom, not the cause) and was just a sour person.
This time around it's like night and day!