SailNet Community - View Single Post - can I afford to continue sailing
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

Our backgrounds sound close enough that I could be in the same situation as you, but I'm very fortunate to have gotten the opposite result. We bought our first boat back in April, and I've been overjoyed to find that my wife has really enthusiastically embraced it. She is not a "water person" but she does enjoy being outside and we've gotten that in spades.

When we bought the boat we agreed to a two-year trial period: we'd try it out and see if we really used it or if it just sat at the dock. Well, we've been using it a little less than you and paying a little more for the slip, which has added up to a very enjoyable season for our family.

But you have to face facts: an expenditure of that sort requires a two-person agreement, in my opinion and in my understanding of what a marriage is. If I was in your situation I would use a two-pronged approach:

1. Explain to your wife that you love sailing on a visceral level, and it makes you happy to HAVE a boat even when you are not ON the boat.

2. Discuss the money situation and see if there is some sort of quid-pro-quo. Could she do something she likes at similar cost? Is there a house project that she could get in exchange (patio, bathroom remodel, etc?)

If she puts her foot down...well, I don't have any advice for you. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook