SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too Much, Too Soon?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

*sigh*...I hope your expectation is not that you'll take these courses and will be capable to go out and buy a cruising vessel and sail off into the sunset. These courses will give you the feel of sailing a keelboat, but not about how to own, maintain, upgrade, and cruise such a vessel over a long period of time.

My suggestion is that take the class you need at a minimum to charter. Then charter a few times and decide if you like this lifestyle.

Just for reference, I never took ASA classes....but we bought a 34 foot sailboat after a boat show was over and the right deal came along. I had sailed small dinghys and a Catalina 30 briefly before then. We jumped into the deep end. My whole sailing/sailboat ownership journey has been documented in my sailnet posts in the last 6 or so years.

Almost 4 years later, I've learned how to do boat plumbing, some entry level diesel repair, fiberglass maintenance, canvas work...and more importantly, what to do myself vs outsource. I've done damage to a nice crispy set of sails and shortened their life significantly, but I'm getting good enough in our Club racing to push for hardware with steady crew in my class. SOON I hope to have the financial resources to cast off...but till then, I'll sail my boat that I bought practically on a whim.

Best decision we ever made....and not a single class taught me what to do.

Last edited by night0wl; 10-22-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook