SailNet Community - View Single Post - Home schooling for Cruisers
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012

seaparrot is on a distinguished road
Re: Home schooling for Cruisers

Hey CruisingDad! I never home schooled/was home schooled on board a boat, but I was home/self-educated from 6th to 12th grades. It can be a great experience, and it's always exciting to me to hear of people doing interesting or off-beat things with their kids. In my case, I went from having a fairly rough time in school to earning a full scholarship for college. I now have a Ph.D. in my field of study. Needless to say, I am pleased with this outcome. I did to Calvert for a year ... and while I didn't continue, I have good enough memories to consider it for our boy when the time comes. (We also live very near the physical Calvert school. Another option.)

To me, the strength of home schooling is the fact that there are as many potential approaches to education as their are personal values, family needs, and individual students. It can be a great opportunity, when it fits the student's needs. And when a family isn't just negatively retreating, but instead finding new ways to explore the world and contribute to it.

And if a family has a chance to do something as interesting and cruise and travel -- that sounds wonderful to me. Now that we have a little one and live in a major U.S. city, I would be temped to home school partly with the objective of getting out and doing things/meeting people that one otherwise would not. I used to just wander around and meet all kinds of great/crazy people ....

BTW, CD, you gave us great liveaboard suggestions a couple years ago. We're not living on board, and we actually did buy a house an settle down, at least for now. But we have a baby boy now and are in quest of that first boat. So we'll see what comes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook