SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too Much, Too Soon?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Too Much, Too Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOnAPaleBlueDot View Post
Hello everyone,
I havenít set foot on a sailboat in quite a while, and never acted as crew on one before, but I generally love the feel of being on the water in most any boat. Assuming that I truly enjoy sailing as much as I remember, I was wondering if any of you have encountered or heard anything about the ASA SUPER TRACK. Itís the certification for 101-105 over a span of one week. It certainly makes sense financially, as itís a few hundred dollars cheaper than taking each course individually, and taking time off of work would be more manageable, as I could take a single week off instead of a few days at a time. But, Iím worried that taking all of those courses at once would be too much in too small amount of time. What are your thoughts?

-Spec.
My experience is that the ASA classes are excellent but I'm in complete agreement with those who suggest doing the classes over a longer period, getting some experience in between. Normally ASA 101 takes 4 days, 103 4 days, and so on. That time on the water is valuable.