SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Bavaria 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromWTX View Post
I personally like the Bavaria 40 series.
Well, like on the Hanse I have mixed feelings about the Bavaria 40. As you probably know I have owned a Bavaria 36ft (bought new in 2002) and globally I have only good things to say. Contrary to what most consider I think that it is a good endorsement the fact that Bavaria is probably the brand that sells more boats to charter companies.

Owners of big charter companies are very experienced in what regards boats and boats problems and durability and they know that the boats will experiment a huge amount of abuse. In fact in terms of use a 5 year old charter has the use of the average 20 year old boat. The fact they chose Bavaria means that they consider the boat more strong than the average mass market cruiser boat.

The mixed feelings: regarding 40fts, Bavaria, as Hanse is heavier than the French cruisers but also as Hanse the 40 has unusually big B/D (0.32). While the jeanneau has not a bad one D/B (0.30) but the Oceanis has only 0.27. That gives the Oceanis a low AVS (110º). That could not mean nothing if you sail with good weather but it is not good for an offshore boat.

Anyway to cut it short I think that Bavaria is on the right way in what regards the interior (that is better on the new vision series) but I just don't like the Farr design on the outside. The boat looks fat and old. I don't think that the design is better or more modern than the one from the previous model (till 2009). Take a look:

The 2009 boat

The actual series

If I was interested in a new Bavaria I would wait one or two years till the new series come to the 40ft range. Not only the boats look much better has the interior is not only well designed but very practical.

The 40ft interior

The Vision 42 interior. I think that the boats to come will reflect this style.

The style of the future series: The first boat, the Cruiser 56

But you never know, the new Vision series have a B/D a lot lower than the one on the previous series. If you want to buy an used 40ft Bavaria I would say that the better boat is the previous Vision 40 that is a very good cruising boat and that should be find at a nice price now that they have new models.

Maybe you can even find a new one on stock and in that one you should get a 25 to 30% rebate. Of course that does not mean nothing if you sell the boat in some years but if this is the boat you are going to keep, it will make a big difference. This is a fast boat with a B/D superior to the one you find on the new series of Vision, a stiff boat.

The 40ft Vision

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook