SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I like this idea, but I would rather the obligation to be out and underway for one or two days a month. Many that may be gainfully employed professionals might not have the opportunity to take off for one or two months within a particular year. I had a ten year span of my forty years living aboard a well kept boat when I had no more than two weeks at a time for cruising.
Some marinas do require the boats to leave under there own control at least once a year, but once a month would be better, but would impact all those people who pay and never go to there boats. As some other threads (seems a new one gets opened at least every month) about boats that have no one on them and never go out and what a waste it is. I know there are places like Hawaii that the very limited marinas and some are full of boats that cannot safely leave the docks. I think if you are in an area that has limited dock space if you don't use your boat, make room for those who will. That includes live-aboard. I don't think that a slip should be used as a cheap place to live on the water. I think it is quite alright for someone to live there as long as they are utilizing there boat as a boat and taking it out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook