SailNet Community - View Single Post - Quality of boats that sit vs sail
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: Quality of boats that sit vs sail

Last month I bought a 1985 Catalina 30. The previous owner, (I never met, purchased through broker) apparently had not visited the boat for a year and a half or more. It showed poorly and was on the market for a long time at a high price.

It needed cosmetic TLC, which I am all up for, and I had a rigger survey the rigging and a marine surveyor go throughout the boat, everything was good enough and I purchased the boat. Everything passed, but the recommendations are important to me and I intend to complete as much as my resources allow. For example, because the boat was un-used for so long, the macerator siezed up, the hand-pump head didn't function properly, the 1985 microwave displays time but does not start microwaving, and overall the electrical wiring that probably always was "good enough" for day sailing, will probably get re-worked to be safer for my liveaboard intentions. It appears to just have general deferred-maintenance, that falls into my hands.

I'm probably over-optimistic believing that, "maybe this boat is in really good shape, and won't need anything major for awhile, I got lucky and found a good one!" But time will tell. So far, very good. It's nice to get compliments from the yard guys on the condition of the bottom when the boat is hauled out. This is my first large boat that permanently stays in the water, and like I mentioned, I'll be a LAB, so I'll be using more of everything that people who visit their boats weekly/monthly. The benefit is that I'll gradually learn all I can about the systems, yet I'll be using almost everything more often than the typcial weekly/monthly dock-sailor, so I can expect maintenance tasks to be more frequent.

The first trip I made was to a fuel dock to have an oil/filter change - the oil looked like black paint. And the general recommendation is to shorten the interval between my next oil change so that it helps to continue to flush out the old oil. They suggested 2-3 months later.

It's going to be a learning experience over time both in marine systems, sailing something that isn't a beachcat, and how well the previous owner(s) took care of this boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook