SailNet Community - View Single Post - Texas to Mex. Riviera, to Cayamans
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012
freedom seeker

tapske is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Texas to Mex. Riviera, to Cayamans

Thank you Capt. aaron,
This is exactly the type of intel I am hungry for. I have heard of that book before, I will go ahead and buy a copy... sounds like a great resource.
Seems like either Progeresso, Vera Cruz, or Isla Mujeres is going to be the easiest port-of-entry. Even if I plan on heading on to Cozumel, probably easier to check in at one of those first.
I was in Cozumel recently, and they are building a new marina just North of "marina Calleta". There are 2 marinas currently in Cozumel, "Abrigo" on the northern side of the island, and "Calleta" on the mid-southern side. The new marina is supposed to have almost as many slips as both of those put together, and is slated to be opening in December 2012.
I do have a friend on Cozumel (Dario) that runs a little sailing charter on his 48' sloop "Adelaide II". It is a center cocpit and can have another mast installed to be a ketch, but he prefers to run it as a sloop. Anyway, he says most local guys have already signed contracts with the new marina.

So my thought process is, based on basic supply and demand, the other 2 marinas may lower prices a bit, or offer more perks in an effort to entice more business once many of their long-term guys move to the new marina...... we shall see.
I do enjoy Cozumels proximity to nice dive spots, and spear fishing (free-dive of course), but I enjoy the "pace" of Isla Mujeres better..... (seems there is always a sacrifice on some level)......
Currently I have NO experience in Belize waters, an issue I plan to remedy over the next few years.
Thanks for your input !! maybe I'll see you on the 1 some-day....

---tapske
NIF
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook