SailNet Community - View Single Post - Texas to Mex. Riviera, to Cayamans
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012
freedom seeker

tapske is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Texas to Mex. Riviera, to Cayamans

Just got back from 10 hours in GUlf. Went about 15 miles out. waves running 2-3 with the opccasional 4' er. Practiced hoving-to and settting reef single handed. And (unplanned practiced) untangling gib-sheet from mast cleet half-way through a tack, in mid-lvl seas....witrh 15 knot winds.....

all in all good trip. deductions -----

1. While motoring Course holding auto pilot can't keep up with seas pasty about 3', corrections are too slow.

2. Wind-vane auto pilot works like dream on close hauled, close reach, and pretty good on a beam reach. anything broader than a beam reach and performance gets progressively worse based on the angle. Broad reach is not feasible. And a run is not even an option.

3. Since I was running single handed, and seas were getting close to 4' , I didn't feel brave enough (yet) to single hand my spinnaker. or run out my whisker pole for a wing on wing. just gybed a couple time on the way back in.

Pretty sure the trolling lure I was dragging behind me most of the day got the monofillament twisted up in my prop. gonna have to dive before next trip out to untangle.....

such is the way of the sea.....

fair winds.....

---tapske...
NIF
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook