SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bareboat Charter Pricing and your charter experiences
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012

NVCATS is on a distinguished road
Re: Bareboat Charter Pricing and your charter experiences

I lived in the BVI for 25 years sailing around on a big catamarans and always kinda looked at bareboaters as weekend Warrior's. There were very few catamarans around so being young at the time and having a real fast 60 ft cat we would find fun sailing up and down the Sir Francis Drake channel hunting bareboaters and their monohulls to just go flying by them, always waving of course. Well things change and one day you wake up and make a huge mistake... you sell your boat.
I miss my Shadowfax but there is hope new life means new turns, My girlfriend decided she wanted to try sailing after hearing some stories and we began the search. I found my way to Latesail and the pricing was right there in your face. I found it a great way to find a good deal and so not being worried so much about the boat other than being a roomy cat. We ended up with VPM in St Martin, which turned out to be a great company and the base team was very nice. We took Lavezzi 42 for 2 weeks, there was no way I was going to spend all that money and time getting there to spend only a week, price wasn't that much more for 2 weeks than one so was not hard to see the light. We sailed from St Martin to Tintamar then on to La Fortune, St Barts and spend a few days around St Barts. Having Night sailing permission we then headed to St Kitts for a over night sail and continued direct on to Nevis where we spent the night and day. Sailing behind St kitts was nice as the wind calmed and the newbies could sleep as we drifted along. There was a tall ship anchored out, she was all light up as we sailed south into the channel between the islands. Nevis was as I remember and I actually made the custom guy laugh...took a while but he did finally laugh. Got pictures taken with the police at the station as we did the final clear in and headed out for a cab ride around Nevis... very cool. Next morning we headed to Barbuda... The only Island I had never been to. We fished on the way across caught a Mackerel and anchored before sunset. Wow Barbuda is amazing 17 miles of Pristine and undeveloped beach. We got cleared , which was not a easy task they were all nice but it was a journey in itself. The swell was up a little so we headed to the north reef and found our way all the way in, thanks to a very accurate Chris Doyle Guide book. We spent a few days there snorkeling... just amazing. Early in the morning we headed into another over night sail to Anguilla. Then back to St Martin where we spent a few days in Grand Case. Clearing in on the French side is a pain if you arrive midday when there on vacation for lunch, I mean really.

Cost of charter 2 weeks $4200
Insurance $450
Lavezzi 42 rating is a 8 out of 10
Nice boat clean, cozy, sailed like 2 monohulls tied together mind you but I'm spoiled with a Spronk Cat
VPM Great company, nice people, Quick Vessel check out and in
Latesail good broker and website.
provisioning $2000
Fuel $80
water $6
Booze $500 go figure
customs $100
Taxi airport $150 6 pax
Airfare $1000 each to SXM

We booked direct next year with VPM and got the same boat in Martinique for 21 days and had a great time sailing north. I share that in another post

Last edited by NVCATS; 10-23-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: more prices
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook